In my banana bread blogging blitz before dinner last night, I forgot to include the recipe. I go on and on about banana bread, and then I don’t even have the good manners to include the recipe. Shame, shame, shame on me.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found on Allrecipes.com several years ago.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I like mine closer to two teaspoons)
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (to taste)
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (to taste)
1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (to taste)*
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3-5 overripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×5 loaf pan. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Add vanilla.
4. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture until just moistened.
5. Bake in preheated oven 55-65 minutes. Let bread cool in pan on wire rack for ten minutes, then turn out and cool.
*Spices are entirely a matter of taste. I like my banana bread a little more on the cinnamon/ginger side, so I add more of those and less of the cloves and nutmeg. Sometimes I’ll leave nutmeg out. It’s up to your tastes.